Thursday, July 15, 2010

That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles

As much as we wish it isn't so, one fact about human relationship remains: people come, people go. Sad, but that's the truth.

I was cyber spying earlier today, and that got me to open some pages. One led to another until I got to opening my mailbox. I sure had a lot of messages, both happy and sad, of acceptance and separation. I opened a few, and some touched my heart.

I am not just talking about romantic separation. I am talking about people I've touched, and was touched by. Sometimes I wonder, will there ever be a time when we might reconnect? Not just for a ‘blast from the past,’ but a real reconnection, a rejoining, a resumption of the friendship and of routine as if the split had never happened. Probably not, but I am hopeful.

When I left the University, I left a true family of friends with the absolute belief that nothing would change, that we would continue to talk and visit and share a rare closeness of heart. Of course, that didn’t happen as distance, time and space created an inevitable chasm between intention and reality. We still get to catch up once in a while, but that's all.

As I go on with my life and got to meet new people, new relationships were formed. I've thrown parties at my place and have met interesting people. Some have remained my friends, while some have left soon as the alcohol is gone. Its saddening, but as the saying goes, "that's the way the cookie crumbles". Its not as bad as it sounds, though.

I went into some period of both spontaneous and deliberate hiatus, and at some point became almost reluctant to disillusioned in meeting people and forming relations. But realizing I don't and I can't live in my own private world, I always open up.

This gets me to thinking: Why would someone dear return full-force while the other quietly slips into the ether? I don’t fully know, but I think it has something to do with need. People come and people go, satisfying a need for love and companionship in your life, or teaching you something you need to know. Luckily, a few people will stick around for a lifetime. But most are just here for a season. Maybe two.

I won't claim to have always stick with the same people. There are more than one occasions that I myself have to let go of others and choose separation. I guess that’s OK. We all have our reasons, and for all its worth, we learn from each other.

I am not here to do a roll call. Neither I am here do a loyalty check. People will always have their reasons.

For people who've always been there,and for some who remained though the physicality is gone, thanks for having me and have me touch your lives. It is both a pleasure and a joy.


Post Script:

I am terribly missing a certain someone. Can't wait to see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to Ubermensch