Monday, July 26, 2010

Delayed Reaction: My CD4 Result

It is only today that my CD4 Result is starting to make sense.  I am at 260 as I write. Not that I didn't understand what this means, just that I was already consumed by the pain my finger is causing when my doctor gave me the results.
Now, after a few pain killers and anti-biotics and a few hours of sleep, 260 is starting to become something I couldn't simply ignore.

When you become infected with HIV, the virus invades a type of white blood cell (cells that help your body fight off infection and disease) called CD4. The CD4 cell count test measures the number of CD4 cells in your blood, and is a good indicator of your overall health and how your HIV is progressing. The lower your CD4 count, the more at risk you may be for infections.

Normal CD4 counts in adults range from 500 to 1,500 cells per cubic millimeter of blood.
In general, the CD4 count goes down as HIV disease progresses.

When I had my CD4 test in June, I was hoping for at least 300-350. And now, knowing that mine is below my target is simply saddening. Well, I am more alarmed than saddened. I mean, I know this will come. I know I will come to a point when I will have to start taking these medicines. But I was expecting that somehow, I can still go on without taking medicines.

Most HIV patients start with the ARV treatment when CD4 is at 300-350. I was advised to start Anti Viral Regimen. However, my doctor told me to get additional set of laboratory tests, then I have to go back to them next week to discuss further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to Ubermensch