Monday, July 12, 2010

Its Balls, Everywhere!

There's just too much balls, and they're everywhere! I am talking about Balls for real.

I am not the sporty type but I've always been a fan. I would stay up late to watch a tennis game, and would bet for a soccer game. But the past few weeks have simply just too much for me to handle. I missed Wimbledon and got myself too engaged with the 2010 WorldCup.

I first followed the WorldCup in 2002. I was then in college, and the hype was just too much, having been staged in an Asian country. The following edition proved to be more memorable, as I got to understand the game more. Though my team (Spain) suffered an early 2nd round exit from a (sad) lost from France, the rest of the 2006 edition still was worth the late night I spent following (some) games in Gweilos and National Sports Grill.

Well, I won't really claim to be a die hard soccer fan. It simply is not a Filipino thing, I guess. The game is maddeningly simple-- kick the ball back and forth. Also, unlike other sports, the game unfolds slowly. Aside from the occasional goal and some moments of glory, its just the boys that makes it exciting.

But this very character of soccer is at the same time what keeps me glued on the tube. A 90 minute soccer game, or maybe more, is as close to truth as one can get on this earth.

The seeming simplicity of the game is the same simplicity that combines into infinite complexity called life. The slow pace of the game is the same slow unfolding, making us able to learn what we are up against. Slowly, we calculate things then it builds up until everything becomes a kaleidoscope of breathless rush until something magical as a single goal turns everything into happiness to some, while despair to others.

At times,we may see brilliant combination play to lead to that sterling chance on goal, only to be denied. These moments may sometimes make us or break us. Its either we keep aiming or simply concede and give the game.

Finally, the game offers only a few chances, which must be seized. Carpe diem, as the saying goes, because you never know when or even if another chance may present itself. We only have until the buzzer sounds.

This game is life itself. We play as we live.

Oh, and by the way, sometimes you win or loose, BIG TIME!


PS.
Congatulations to La Roja for winning the 2010 FIFA WorldCup Title. I may have lost my voice cheering, but all worth it.


Viva!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to Ubermensch