Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Meeting the Pozzies

I had my CD4 Test today.

I was at San Lazaro Hospital earlier for my schedule. I came just on time, but apparently, the  doctors are not there yet when I arrived to I decided to take my breakfast first (it was just a cup of instant coffee. Hehehe) While on the line at the cashier, I saw a familiar face at the cafeteria. I know he was the guy I saw at PGH when I went there to have a check up for my shingles. I know he recognized me too as he is looking at me, and so I threw him a smile and walked to his table after I paid.

Lets call him KV. I asked him if I could join his table. He politely offered me a seat. Just a few minutes after, we started talking. He told me that he in fact recognized me. He remembered the time when I was limping from my chair to the doctor during one of my visit at PGH and asked me if I remember him as well. I said yes. He also said that he wanted to talk to me before but decided not to as he thought I was a snob and was looking like I was in terrible pain. he didn't want to bother me.

KV is 22 or 23 years old. I couldn't remember exactly. He was with his sister that morning. He was with her, too, when I  first saw him in PGH. KV told me that his family knows about his status, and it is nice to see his family go with him through his journey with HIV. I wish I can do the same, but I am just not ready to see my mom take the pains more than I should.

Anyway, KV and I talked a lot about our status and shared some insights about things while his sister nicely took our CD4 endorsement slip and wait for the doctor to open up the testing room. While we are waiting, we saw a few guys check the testing room as well. Of course, I was already thinking that these guys must be up for the same things as we are-- to take our CD4 test, as well.

I remember the 3 other guys who went to check the testing area, and I just found it interesting that HIV is becoming more and more real for me. I mean, seeing people who actually live with it, and what they go through. It is also interesting how HIV takes on different faces and how people living with HIV takes it in different fashion.

Finally, the doctors opened the clinic and we were called by KV's sister and went to the clinic to have our blood extracted. And yes, the 3 other guys who checked the clinic earlier were also up for the same thing.

Everyone is quietly seated on the lobby of the clinic while they wait for the doctor to call them, and I am included, although at times,  KV and I still managed to takes some good laugh just so to disperse the nervousness and anxiety.  Until finally, started to call the roll.

First, the guy in black. He was wearing a UP shirt, so I assume he must be from UP. He must be around 21 or 22. He looked good. He always had his head bowed down, though, as if he doesn't want people to recognize him. He is a bit bulky and looks very healthy, and you wouldn't suspect that he is HIV positive just by looking at him.

Next was the guy in white shirt. He is very thin. I also noticed some scabs which resembles lesions on his foot and his hand. He looked very sick, too.

Then its was  KV and me. KV  went first and then waited for me at the lobby until I finished my turn.

Lastly was the guy who is all "wrapped." He was wearing a long sleeved sweater, a low rise jeans, a big shades for his eyes and a turban wrapped around and covering his head. I do not know what was going on with him, but I remember my first few visits in PGH before. I would always go there with my shades so as not to be recognized.

KV, together with his sister, took a short walk with me afterwards and finally took our separate ways. We exchanged numbers and promised to keep in touch.

I head home took a long sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to Ubermensch