Wednesday, September 15, 2010

(Un)Fit to Work

Its my second day with my new job.

After a long break from the corporate set up, I decided to take on a new job. It is not necessarily my dream job.  But I think it is a good job, nonetheless. By good job, I only mean a 'very' attractive compensation package, a 'normal' working schedule, and less toxic than my previous (I assume). Though I had hesitations about taking it as I am afraid and might get bored and would look for a more challenges, I decided to take on the new job anyway. I was more concerned about earning more and getting less stressed this time.

Just when I am all set on my new job, I was called by the company HR earlier today and advised me to re-take my blood test as I was found to have low platelets count. I haven't gotten a "Fit to Work" certificate and would require a second test. I was like "futch!" (that's fuck + bitch = futch) I wouldn't want my job jeopardized because of this. At the same time, the bigger worry I have is having to disclose my sero-status.

I had my medical exam last weekend, and I never remember being asked about my sero-status. I remember being asked about "other known diseases", which I answered "None" to. Honestly, I didn't know how to respond properly to the question. Everything seemed like a blur at that point.

I know there are some legislation in the Philippines about discrimination among people with HIV/AIDS and related disabilities. Of course, there is Republic Act 8504 which states that "The State shall extend to every person suspected or known to be infected with HIV/AIDS full protection of his/her human rights and civil liberties. Towards this end...discrimination, in all its forms and subtleties, against individuals with HIV or persons perceived or suspected of having HIV shall be considered inimical to individual and national interest".

For a while I thought of disclosing, but fear sat in and have decided to come up with 'mental' justification for my answer. I convinced myself that the question is not really about my sero-status. Whether that is acceptable or not, I thought that the whole point of medical exams is (simply) to determine fitness to work, and I thought my sero-status doesn't really make me unable to perform essential functions of the job, and as long as I am able to perform my job well, then there wouldn't be a necessity to disclose, well, at least at the moment.

Of course, I have also considered the possibility of me being required to take some time off work for some reason such as (another) infection or complication or when I require medical appointments, or experience (some) side effects should I decide to take some medications soon. I know I cannot compromise these things as they are more serious than a day's worth of my salary. But until then, my viral secret remains.

Anyway, I am going to have my blood sample taken and tested again for a complete blood count (and not HIV) on Saturday. I am not sure if my platelets count will go any better in a few day's time. I remain hopeful. However, in case results prove to be otherwise and further probing on the cause of my low platelet count be done, I am already psyching myself up for a possible discussion of my sero-status.

I know disclosure is just the apparent issue at the moment. I know there is more. I know I have to check on my health again very soon, but I'll take things one by one.



5 comments:

  1. hi there.

    i dunno if it would help and it is so short a time before saturday but i wonder if taking ferrous sulfate would help increase your platelet count. i suffered from low hemoglobin after i started on ARVs and the doc has prescribed ferrous sulfate, aside from eating green, leafy veggies, and animal liver (which i am not fond of. eww)

    as for disclosing your status, i suggest consulting a lawyer regarding that. i am sure you know that disclosure won't be easy and have far-reaching consequences. i know of a lawyer who can help you and i hope he isn't very busy. do send me a private email if you will take my advice and i will give you his number.

    good luck and Godspeed. :)

    juan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Juan for the advise. Your sharing is very much appreciated.

    I have done my research and have consulted a very good friend who's a lawyer too. i am giving disclosure a thought cuz i know it really isn't easy as it sounds. talking to your lawyer friend might prove helpful too as i may get additional insights.

    hope to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are probably thinking its dengue, because of your low platelets count. THINK POSITIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i deleted my earlier reply because of a horrendous grammatical error. hahaha

    anyway, i will inform my lawyer friend about your situation and give you his number if he's okay with it.

    stay healthy and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Links to Ubermensch