Thursday, May 13, 2010

Monster Zoster

I have a very low tolerance for (physical) pain.

I whimper on a splash of hot oil in my skin. I cry on a needle prick on my finger. I howl on cuts and burns I get. However, I guess I never knew pain until yesterday.

I writhed in excruciating pain from my lower right anterior radiating down my back and so I decided to brave the terrifying panorama of the hospital hallway, and had my check up. I never liked hospitals. It always creeps me out, but this time, I guess I don’t have a choice. I was in terrible pain-- pain I had never experienced before.

As I was waiting for the doctor, my discomfort was worsening. I was seated in a chair waiting for my turn, all sweaty and dizzy, coupled with the itchy and stingy feeling my blisters are causing me. Finally, the door opened so I limped from my chair to the doctor’s room.

Seeing the doctor was somehow a relief. I was hopeful that she could instantly take the pain off just like magic. I know its not going to happen, but I was very hopeful she could help.

I showed the doctor my blisters. I told her that I felt some burning sensation in my front lower midsection four days ago, but just shrugged it off, thinking that it was just heat burn. The rashes grew into small blister the next day, but I thought they were just regular rashes. On the third day, I saw them grew into very large and painful blisters. I decided to call a doctor friend to tell him about the blisters and ask if I can schedule a checkup.

My doctor carefully examined the blisters. After checking, she confirmed that I was suffering from a viral infection called Herpes Zoster, commonly known as “shingles”. Herpes zoster occurs only in people who have had chickenpox. The disease results from the virus reactivation, and usually infects the weak, elderly or diabetics, people with low immune system.

She prescribed to me some medicines to suppress the viral infection and to minimize the stabbing pain.

Soon as I got home, I took the meds right away and fell asleep. I didn’t feel as much pain as I did when I was awake, but at times, I wake up and still feel a stingy feeling, as if someone is pulling the nerves on my chest.

I learned that rashes from shingles appear on only one spot, which in my case I had mistaken for burns, accompanied by stabbing pain for the first 3-5 weeks. Although the medicines are somewhat of help reducing pain (with some strong side effects such as blurred vision, drowsiness, sleepiness, and headache among others), I guess I must learn to live with my pain until it lasts.

And by the way, I could have photographed my lower midsection, but it is screaming in protest, not a way to present myself in public's eye with an ugly-looking scar-filled chest. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to Ubermensch